Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 on which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon implemented and the Township was prepared in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Town was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so do the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a people well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and placed liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a problem and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was arranged, which is currently the St. Joseph Hearth Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the people after multiple many years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing the time to milk read more cows so more time could be spent on crops and creature care. Soon after, World Battle 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to combat.
After the battle ended people were able to get their lives again on the right track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. read more Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. While using depression effecting everyone click here in town, the community needed to stay together as part of your. Through a national offer, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the US into World Warfare 2. Rationing tokens received out since many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph had a population of around 1050, sacrificing 10 heroic troops to the war. The community continued to be strong and continued to increase the Village, adding a normal water tower in 1949, along with a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph began fluoridating its normal water supply, and carries on to take action.